Curated Videos



I'm a bit of a Facebook maniac. Originally I was using it as a storage place for research and for videos I liked. But I've posted so many things there now that I've come to realize it sucks as a closet. You can't find anything there after a week or two. Or maybe you can, but it will take hours. Days. Occasionally I'll read someone say how they're putting something up on Facebook for posterity. But Facebook never involved itself with posterity, not even before it adopted the twitter-style feed. It's always now, and now and... now! and NOW and now.

But I still like to post things there. Music videos that I've just discovered. Medieval church music on Sundays. The occasional jaw-dropping thing. Some politics, some humour. I'm rarely judicious, barely discerning.

Going to have to be now though.



One of my FB (and city) associates, a feller named Erik Rutherford, has come up with the bright, gorgeous idea of creating a website for curated videos. It's called Ryeberg and the idea is described (by him) as follows:

Watching and sharing video clips has become part of our lives, and it’s time we had a website dedicated to making sense of what all this video content means to us.

This is how it works: Ryeberg Curators select video clips from any video hosting site (YouTube, Google Video, Vimeo, DailyMotion), and present these selections with written commentary. These become Curated Videos. Curated Video = Video Clip + Written Text.

By inviting smart, talented, distinguished people to offer their thoughts on the videos they find interesting, Ryeberg aims to bring intelligent, convivial discourse to the great surfeit of video pouring through cyberspace.

Erik challenged me (essentially) to rein in my mad FB video postings, think about the ones I actually like, write about why I like them, and post them in the larger Ryeberg format.

The site went up last week. Here's my latest and here's the main page. Sign up. Check it out.

No comments: